Friday, July 5, 2013

Ten Facebook Statuses to Instantly Engage Your Readers

The opposite of "Like" is now "Ignore."
by Lydia Netzer


Comments on Facebook status updates let us know that we aren't standing all alone in the middle of a party, making animated hand gestures and facial expressions into thin air. Likes reassure us that we're not sighing out half-hearted commentary into a lonely glass of wine while no one listens. As authors, these responses also let us know that we're doing social media correctly, and that we won't be fired by our publishers for being the dullest clods on the internet. They can fire you for that, you know. So how do you get readers to engage with your page? 


It's difficult to know what to say sometimes. I know this one older dude on Facebook who only posts pictures from traffic cameras and also cats. He has a bunch of friends and they're highly engaged, commenting on and Liking everything. I want to think he's unlocked some kind of magical Facebook formula where cat posts combine with traffic camera footage to create a powerful ankh that gives its wearer internet popularity. I salute that guy. But we can't all be him. A lot of people I know, especially authors, seem to worry about appearing too positive, too negative, too repetitive, too pretentious. Posting a status update can feel like tugging on someone's elbow. What if they don't turn around?

The way to get people engaged with your Facebook Page is to give them an opportunity to do something they already want to do. 

No one logs onto Facebook with a burning desire to say "Oh, hmm!" to a dry description of your writing routine. No one yearns to say "Cool fixture!" when you post a picture of your desk lamp. No one really needs to Like your link to an article you wrote about yourself. But you can get comments and Likes flowing by figuring out what people on the internet want to do, and then giving them a place to do it. 

For example, here are ten Facebook updates that will get comments, possibly even a storm of comments, for your Page, right now today: 

1. Turkey bacon: Salvation or abomination?
What do people want to do? Pick sides. 
Picking sides in a clear-cut two-side argument is the easiest thing to do in the world. And fun -- just look at sports. In fact, asking which sports team your readers are rooting for in a game would also make a good post, but really any simple choice between two opposing options will work. You'll have some friends who find extruded meat disgusting and some that feel turkey bacon has allowed them to live again. But don't make them think too much. This is supposed to be fun. 


Kids, we're having conversation starter for dinner!
2. What should I do with this chicken and rutabega?
What do people want to do? Talk about food.
If you haven't figured out that the internet is mostly about food then you haven't spent much time on Pinterest or Instagram. People love to talk about their favorite recipes and help you with your food dilemmas. Post a strange combination of ingredients and ask for ideas. For bonus points, post a strange combination of ingredients you actually have and then post a picture of the results. Or just ask, "What can I make with kale?"

3. It's time for vacation! What city should I visit next?
What do people want to do? Be experts.
Everyone is an expert on the places they've been, especially places in Europe for some reason. If you ask for a "must do" list in Barcelona, I guarantee your comments will be piling up in drifts around your page. You'll have to get rid of them with a leaf blower just to see your cover photo. 

4. Ready to change up my coffee. How do you take it? 
What do people want to do? Define a personal preference. 
Collections of these questions used to float around email lists, circulating as ice breakers or just getting-to-know-you prompts. What's your favorite crayon color? Do you drink lemonade or soda? Do you eat the broccoli stems or not? This kind of question is good because it requires a short answer, and it feels like a revelation without the discomfort of an actual revelation.

5. Anybody get any good news today?
What do people want to do? Share feelings. 
You could ask the broader question: "How are you doing?" But that's actually harder to answer and less inviting than a more specific question. Any time you can bend your post so that the on-ramp to a comment is a  yes/no answer, you're giving your readers an easier time. Anybody sick today? Anybody on the rampage today? They can always just Like... the Facebook equivalent of nodding.

6. What’s the worst thing you ever did in a minivan?
What do people want to do? Share personal anecdotes. 
Again, be specific in scope but general in appeal. Asking about the worst thing someone's done in a minivan is pretty specific. But on the other hand, everyone's been in a minivan. Everyone can answer this. Sharing personal anecdotes is fun, it's interesting to read the other comments on the post, and if you keep the question light, it's easy to give a quick comment.

7. Gosh, at what age do you think I should wean my baby?
What do people want to do? Express an opinion. 
Up to this point I've stressed that you should keep it light and easy, but I'd be remiss if I didn't note that real controversy will make your readers engage. One way to survive it with your dignity (and friend list) intact is to pose your update as a question, and then stay out of the resulting fray. Sure you can toss in some "Hmm, what about this?" comments to move the conversation along, but don't argue one side or the other. This isn't turkey bacon, and people can get pretty irate. Note: If you use the exact status update in this example, and you aren't currently nursing a baby, it might become obvious to your readers that you're just trying to stir them into a frothy passion. 

8. My kid/husband/dog just said/did a funny thing!
What do people want to do? Laugh. 
If you are lucky enough to have a child or husband or dog that provides you with Facebook fodder, don't hide this charming light under a bushel. If you find it funny, your readers will too, including me. 


I seriously don't know what kind of car this is.
9. Does anyone know what kind of car is in this picture? I'm doing research. 
What do people want to do? Help. 
Writers do research online, and one of the best places to do it is right on your Facebook Page, utilizing the knowledge base of your readers. Many times I've asked for help with word choice, facts, identifying pictures, etc. Unless you want it to sound like a game of trivia, make it a genuine question that you're actually struggling with. If you're really unsure, or the answer is ambiguous, then the comments won't dry up after someone gets the right answer, like they would in a trivia question post.

10. Guys, I've got a secret to share. 
What do people want to do? Connect. 
This isn't something you can do every day, both because it would be emotionally exhausting and because you probably don't have enough deeply personal material to keep on revealing something new day after day. Or maybe you do. (Great!) But once in a while, sharing something really personal is a powerful way for your readers and friends to connect with you. If you are in pain, or fear, or love, occasionally let people peek at that. Making yourself a little bit vulnerable makes you accessible and real to the people who genuinely want to connect.

When your Facebook Page provides opportunities for readers and friends to do things they already want to do, you're making it easy for them to interact with you. Try it! 


Lydia Netzer is the author of Shine Shine Shine, now out in paperback, which the New York Times Book Review selected as one of 100 Notable Books for 2012. It was also chosen by Amazon as one of their Editor's Picks for the Top 100 Books of 2012, by Library Journal as one of five Top Women's Fiction Titles of 2012, and by Nancy Pearl in Publisher's Weekly as one of her ten favorite books of 2012. It's a novel about robots, motherhood, space travel, true love, and the perils of fitting in. Find her on her blogFacebook, and Twitter

15 comments:

  1. Love it, as always! You nailed it! This is the anonymous Anne Barnhill:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lydia! Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun tips Lydia! This is why I love seeing what you write on facebook, and why I'm so boring! I will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff...one can only post so many desk lamp pictures. :) I'm tipping this on Sverve {are you on Sverve? I'd love to endorse you for social media!}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list of comment starters. I might not have an answer to some of those but would at least like the post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are lucky enough to have a child or husband or dog that provides you with Facebook fodder, don't hide this charming light under a bushel. If you find it funny, your readers will too, including me. facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to read this post, its an interesting one. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. Thanks Buy Facebook Likes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing...
    facebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. http://ig-seguidores.com.br/pacotes-assinantes-insta/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. Buy High PR BackLinks …….. Blog Comments

    ReplyDelete
  11. A GOOD NEWS A OF HOW DR.SANDY MAKEING ME PREGNANT AR CURE ME AND MY HUSBAND FROM HERPES ILLNESS BEFORE!!!!
    Art all he did before on herpes that was in my body and now he help me again get pregnant I am here to spread this good news to the entire world on how Dr. SANDY of https://www.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/ helped me solve my infertility problem and i am so happy now that i am now a mother because for over 3 years i have been trying to get pregnant and needed help, i and my husband always go for medical check up and the doctor always say that the both of us are fine and i have no where else to get help from and all hope was almost lost until one day i visited a friend of mine and i told her what i was passing through and she introduce me to this great spell herbal caster called Dr. SANDY who helped her when she was in need of help, so i took a try to contact Dr. SANDY through his email and i explain all my problem to him and after we have talked he perform an infertility spell and a herbal medicine for me and after that he told me what i should do and how to use the herbal medicine, and i followed the instruction he gave and after that he instructed to sleep with my husband and also i followed the instruction and he said that the next weeks i should make love with my husband and in three weeks i should go for medical check up and the doctor confirmed that i was two weeks and some days pregnant and i was so happy that all my sorrows were gone for ever, i am so very happy now and also you need any kind of help or the same line with mine, and my husband is all in my side in all problem with the family. We will all look Dr.Sandy as a GOD sent to us so many things he help us with,MEDICINE CURE JOBS SPELL HAVE CHIRPING. So if you need his contact Dr. SANDY on his email: dr.sandyspelltemple@gmail.com dr.sandyspelltemple@hotmail.com dr.sandyspelltemple@yahoo.com
    OR call Whats App Number +2349031726182
    https://www.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/
    I wish to express some appreciation to you just for rescuing me from this type of problem. Right after looking out through the the net and getting views which are not productive, I figured my entire life was done. Being alive without the solutions to the difficulties you have solved all through your entire posting is a serious case, as well as the ones that could have in a wrong way affected my career if I hadn’t encountered your web site. Your own personal capability and kindness in dealing with all the pieces was vital. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not discovered such a subject like this. I can at this moment look forward to my future. Thank you so much for the impressive and amazing guide. I will not think twice to refer your web sites to any individual who should receive recommendations on this issue. He has the cure on all this disease as he told me and it listed. GENITAL WARTS/ PREGNACY.ENPILENCIN. GENPILENCIN.HIV AIDS.PREGNANCYDIABETICSSTROKE.EXSPAND OF PENIS BREASTH.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5.
    THANKS DR.SANDY FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN MY FAMILY AND MY LIFE....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was diagnosed with HIV by my ex girlfriend in 2011 and i have tried all possible means to get cured but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal man called Dr Oboite who can prepare natural herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HIV, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact the herbal man via his email, he prepared the herbal cure and sent it to me via UPS delivery service, when i received his herbal cure,he gave me direction on how to take it, when i take it as he instructed, i was totally cured from this deadly disease within 7 days of usage, I am now free from this deadly disease called HIV, all thanks to Dr Oboite. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email,droboiteherbalcurehome@gmail.com or call his number or whatsapp him, +2348054265852,he can also help with this following problems, HEPATITIS B,ALS, CANCER,HERPES,HPV,TO GET PREGNANT

    ReplyDelete
  13. My boyfriend had just picked me up from the airport, and after two weeks being gone he seemed upset, almost angry at me, wanting to argue about everything that came up. I finally just asked him to take me home, and he left. I figured he had some things he was working through, so I just gave him his space. A few days later he came by my place and we spent the next two days "making up", then he was off to take care of his kids.Two days later I started having a burning sensation in my vaginal area. I thought it was a yeast infection, I started Monistat right away but things only seemed to be getting worse. White spots. Nerve pain. And I was so swollen I couldn't even sit down. I had no idea what was going on, but something was very wrong, so I scheduled an appointment with the Women's Clinic Gynecologist.By the time I got in to see her, I was in so much pain I was in tears. She said she hadn't seen something like this before but took some swabs and blood to run tests. Then the waiting game began. Somehow I remained calm. I had never had something like this before but figured whatever it was, my body would work through it and it would be gone. A few days later while driving to work, I received the call. The nurse who called with the results wasn't overly friendly and just blatantly stated, "Your results came back positive for herpes. I'm sorry." I went into a state of confusion and asked her questions I can't even remember. What I do remember is that she grew more and more agitated and quickly got off the line. I turned around and drove home, then immediately called my boyfriend in frantic tears. "How could this happen? I don't understand how this happened! Did you sleep with someone else? What do I do?! How could this happen?" I felt like I kept saying the same words over and over because he seemed unable to offer any words of comfort. Then he too got off the line quickly, saying he needed to go pick up his kids and he would check on me later. I said, "I've never once asked you to put your kids aside for me, but I really need you right now. I don't know what to do, I just don't know what to do!" He hung up and I fell apart even more.I picked up my phone and started Googling every phrase about herpes I could think of to gain some insight as to what I was dealing with. One thing that stopped me dead in my tracks was discovering that the herpes virus can lay dormant in a person's system for years before they ever get their first breakout and i see a comments about a DR. called SANDY who cure people herpes and i told him my probml and say he will help me with herbal medicine for 14days i did not belive this because i see so much comments about some order DR too but to give a try but the God help me with DR.SANDY herbal medicine but now all i can say is i get cure for the illness because of DR.SANDY medicine.Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain, and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any herpes on my system. Glory be to God for leading me to this genuine Dr. SANDY I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true, Here is his email
    dr.sandyspelltemple@gmail.com
    dr.sandyspelltemple@hotmail.com
    dr.sandyspelltemple@yahoo.com
    or call Whats App Number +2349031726182
    https://web.facebook.com/Drsandy-SPELL-HOME-2-226270587825982/
    THANK YOU DR.SANDY FOR GIVE BACK MY FAMILY AND I CANT NOT FORGOT THIS IN MY LIFE DR....

    ReplyDelete